Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Penny Pinching Beauty: Microdermabrasion Dr. Brandt vs. Derma E Review

          I'll be the first to admit that it is too often that I fall for the trap of liking a product simply because it's higher end. There is an allure to going into a nice department store or beauty shop and buying something that just doesn't compare to going to your local Walgreens or CVS. But the good thing is that I have admitted my mental shortcoming to myself and so I can battle against it! Because dropping an extra $30 for basically the same product is just not worth that tiny thrill. And so I would like to introduce a new series in this blog, called penny pinching beauty, where I will compare two or more products of varying wallet emptying power, and hopefully you will be able to save a few
dollars.




          The first two products we will be comparing are Dr. Brandt's Microdermabrasion and Derma E's Microdermabrasion. Both products are sold in 2oz containers and both have Alumina as their main scrubbing ingredient. With Dr. Brandt it is the second ingredient, whereas Derma E lists it as the 5th. Both are great at exfoliating but there are a few differences. Dr. Brandt's grit feels finer, but harsher at the same time. The first time I used it my first thought was that it felt like glass. That's not to say that it was harsh, it's just that the grit didn't disappear after rubbing like it does with a lot of scrubs where it feels like the moment it hits your skin it melts away into nothingness. It rinsed away completely clean and left my skin feeling soft and smooth. I didn't experience any irritation. Dr. Brandt's retails for $79.00 and comes in a hygienic squeeze bottle.




          Derma E also contains alumina but the texture was a bit thicker. It felt more emollient too, probably do to the several essential oils included in it. It didn't rinse quite as clean as Dr. Brandt's but it never caused me any problems with breakouts. The one downer is that it comes in a tub, but honestly I've never had an issue with tub packaging for scrubs. It's not as travel friendly as Dr. Brandt's but not a deal breaker. Performance wise, while the feel of the product was slightly different, the end results were exactly the same: smooth and softened skin with no irritation or breakouts. Derma E Microdermabrasion is available for $32.50, and if you combine it with the many sales at Walgreens and CVS you can get it for even cheaper. So if you want to save at least $44, definitely get the Derma E. This is one of those cases where saving money does not mean you are skimping on quality. And who doesn't like that?