Saturday, December 19, 2015

Clarins Lotus Treatment Oil Review

          There are very few makeup or skincare brands that I go back to again and again on a consistent basis. Actually, there is only one: Clarins. It started out more than 10 years ago, when I went in to Alberto Cortes in Downtown Miami and got a facial at the Clarins counter. I came away with a few products, but the one I remember the most was the Gentian Milk Cleanser. I've tried many different brands of skincare since then, but I always go back to Clarins. Today I'm going to review my latest acquisition from the French beauty brand, and that is the much loved but new to me Lotus Face Treatment Oil. This product had been on my wishlist for over two years probably, but every time I had money to spend on skincare I would take one look at the price and end up buying something completely different. But since I'm in my late 30s and my combo skin shows no signs of letting up on the oil production in my t-zone, I figured now was as good a time as any. It didn't hurt that I had a $15/off coupon from Sephora.
          Clarins offers three different facial treatment oils: Bue Orchid, Santal, and Lotus. They are called rebalancing oil because the purpose is to target specific skin problems and bring the skin to a more normal and balanced state. Blue Orchid is for dehydrated skin, Santal is for dry and stressed skin, and Lotus is for combination/oily skin. They retail at $54.00 for 1 oz. That may seem like a lot, but there are several things that make the price less of an issue for me. First and foremost, after having used the Lotus oil for around a month (every night) I can attest that these oils will last you a loooong time. I figure I won't have to repurchase this for at least a year. This is in contrast to Clarins' Double Serum, which was almost double the price, and barely lasted me 3 months. Secondly, the packaging on this is really luxe. The oil comes in a heavy glass jar with a dropper applicator, and it just looks lovely sitting on my bathroom vanity.

Isn't it pretty????

          Even so, I wouldn't buy a product just because it looked nice or lasted a long time if it didn't actually work. This is even more of an issue for me now that I am spending a greater amount on makeup and skincare. When you have spent $500 on beauty products, you want to make sure that that next purchase is really worth it. And this one definitely was. There are very few products that I can say have made a measurable difference in my skin, and Clarins Lotus Oil is one of them. I apply it at night after toner. Just a few drops in your palm will suffice, and then I pat it over my face, concentrating first on my t-zone. It does have a strong herbal fragrance, but I rather like it, and it does go away after a while. My skin is much less oily when I wake up the next day. After a while you stop noticing the effect, until you miss a day and then you realize why you can't live without this product.
          Have you tried anything from Clarins? Or do you have a brand that you love and keep coming back to? Let me know in the comment section!