Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Best Primer It Cosmetics No. 50 Primer Review

          I live in South Florida AND I have have combo skin with a very oily t-zone. That right there should tell you that I engage in epic battles with my skin and makeup to just try to make it through the day. I have found three foundations that work pretty well for me. They are Clarins Everlasting Foundation, Guerlain Lingerie de Peau, and Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua. I will review these eventually, but today I want to talk about primer. Because when you have to deal with the aforementioned from hell combo of Miami plus oily tzone, well, you NEED primer. And I have tried a great many of them.
          Primers, in theory are supposed to make your makeup last longer and make your skin a more even canvas for your foundation. But in my experience it was an either or situation. A lot of primers are heavy on the silicones, and while they helped to blur pores and make skin look more even, I hated the slippery powdery feeling I got from them (it makes my skin crawl actually) and I found it made my tzone even oilier and my makeup tended to disappear all the quicker. The primers that worked better longevity wise didn't do anything for the look of my skin or foundation. I've gone through quite a few samples of primers, and not one of them wowed me enough to warrant my spending any money of them. That was true for Benefits Pore Minimizers, Smashbox's Photo Finish, Pixi's Primer. Even Clarins' famed Beauty Flash Balm did little to convince me that it was doing much at all. And if you know anything about me, it's that I loooooove me some Clarins. And then this little guy came along.


          A few weeks ago I went and bought an eyeshadow palette from It Cosmetics, and they just so happened to include a sample of their No. 50 Serum Anti-Aging Collagen Veil Primer. Yeap, that's quite a mouthful. It also has a crapload of ingredients. I thought many that's were they got their No. 50 from, but it's actually quite more than that:

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclotetrasiloxane, Dimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Isododecane, Glycerin, Hexyl Laurate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Ozokerite, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Petrolatum, Sodium Chloride, Caprylyl Methicone, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Polysilicone-11, Titanium Dioxide, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sorbitan Olivate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Butylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Ubiquinone, Squalane, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Sea Water, Punica Granatum Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Niacinamide, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Caffeine, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Arbutin, Adenosine, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Water, Lactobacillus, Honeysuckle Flower, Licorice Root, Morus Alba Root, Pueraria Lobata Root, Schizandra Chinensis Fruit, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root, Sophora Japonica Flower Extract Ferment Filtrate, Illite, Mica, Betula Platyphylla Japonica Juice, Perfluorohexane, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Flower Extract, Caviar Extract, Snail Secretion Filtrate, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cholesteryl Isostearate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Chrysanthemum Indicum Flower Extract, Cholesteryl Nonanoate, Cholesteryl Chloride, Alcohol, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Alchemilla Vulgaris Extract, Ananas sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Actinidia Chinensis (Kiwi) Fruit Extract, Pueraria Lobata Root Extract, Perfluorodecalin, Morus Alba Fruit Extract, Magnolia Kobus Bark Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sprout Extract, Diospyros Kaki Leaf Extract, Cinnamomum Cassia Bark Extract, Artemisia Princeps Leaf Extract, Pentafluoropropane, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Steareth-20, Marrubium Vulgare Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Gentiana Lutea Root Extract, Artemisia Absinthium Extract, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Veronica Officinalis Extract, Primula Veris Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Colloidal Oatmeal, Hydrolyzed Silk, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Silica, Fish Extract, BHT, Sodium Benzoate, Algae Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, N-Hydroxysuccinimide, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Mussel Extract, Tocopherol, Thiamine HCl, Riboflavin, Retinyl Palmitate, Pantothenic Acid, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Niacin, Folic Acid, Chrysin, Carnitine HCl, Biotin, Ascorbic Acid, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7,Chlorhexidine digluconate. May Contain: Red 7 Lake (CI 15850:1).


          Normally I would scoff at such a formulation, but once this baby made contact with my skin I was sold. This could have the blood of murdered baby pigeons and I probably wouldn't mind. It is that good. Now, It Cosmetics brands this as an anti-aging primer, which to me reads as FOR DRY SKIN only. I'm closer to 40 than I am to 30, but my skin is still pretty oily. Nonetheless, this product has been the best thing to happen to my skin in quite a while.
          Right now my HG foundation is Guerlain's Lingerie de Peau. I get very natural coverage, but my skin looks way better with it on, if that makes sense. You know how some foundations you can tell you have foundation on, but your skin doesn't actually look any better. Well, that's not the case with LdP. I was really happy with it and didn't think I could do anything to make it better, until I used the No. 50 Serum Primer Veil.
          The formula itself smells really nice, very citrusy. It feels very smooth, but it doesn't have that yucky feeling you get from most silicone primers (and yes, this has a lot of silicone). It feels great on my hands and even better on my skin. A reviewer said it was like touching a baby's bottom and I have to concur. I could stroke my face for hours after using it. I don't find that it gives me an overly matte look, but that's fine because I actually hate matte foundation. As long as it keeps my own t-zone from going haywire I'm more than ok with it. And surprisingly, I don't get overly oily with this primer, even though it's supposed to be anti-aging. But the real wow factor comes in jus how beautiful my skin looks with this. It's like someone took a bit of half and half and mixed it into my complexion and now I have this beautiful creaminess that looks awesome AND natural. No flat matte cake face.



Do you have a primer that you love? Let me know in the comment section!