Saturday, March 28, 2015

Best Drugstore Lipstick Part 1 Milani Color Statement Lipstick Review and Swatches

          I still buy a fair amount of my makeup at the drugstore, because let's face it, it hurts to pay $20 or more for a lipstick. And the great news is that you can find not just good lipstick, but GREAT ones at the drugstore. My two favorite drugstore lipsticks are from Milani and Rimmel. Today I will be reviewing Milani's Color Statement Lipstick. They recently came out with a matte line, but I have yet to try those. At CVS they will put you back around $6.50 a pop, which is on the lower end of drugstore lippies. Anything from L'oreal or Revlon us closer to $10.


Milani Color Statement Lipstick


          These lipsticks are truly wonderful. The only negative things I have to say bout them are the packaging, which I find a bit tacky, and the smell, which is reminiscent of a watermelon jolly rancher. I personally, do not like the smell, but it fades quickly, so it's a non issue for me. As for the packing, who really cares? It's not going to look glam on my makeup table, but it's going to look awesome on my lips, and in the end that is what matters.
          Formula wise, these lippies are creamy and opaque. They go on quite smooth and feel very comfortable, considering how long they stay on the lips. They are not branded as long wearing, but I certainly feel they are. I wore one today and had a pretty full lunch that includes rice and beans, picadillo and yucca and though it faded a bit, it did so in such an even manner that I only needed to touch up a bit. For the longevity you get with these lippies they are surprisingly easy on the lips.

Bottoms Up: Uptown Mauve, Flamingo Pose, Pretty Natural, Nude Creme

           Another plus is that they come in a vast color range. There are 30 shades in all, ranging from nudes to vibrant plums. There truly is something for everyone. Usually I only find one or two shades that I like in drugstore lipstick brand, but I already four of these Milani ones, and there are still quite a few shades that I am waiting to buy. The ones I have are Nude Creme, Pretty Natural, Flamingo Pose, and Uptown Mauve. Nude Creme is their lightest shade, and is a very nice nude, though I like to darken it up just a hair by using one of Milani's lipliners (either 03 or 04). Pretty Natural is a cool medium pink that pair well with my neutral coloring. Flamingo Pose was actually the first Milani lipstick I bought. It was around this time last year and I was looking for a nice hot pink. All the ones I tried turned a very blue based pink on my lips. This is the only one that retained it's warmth without going into orange territory. It is a hot pink coral and perfect for spring and summer. Finally there is Uptown Mauve. This is a much more wearable version of Milani's Violet Volt, which I find is too purple for me. Uptown Mauve is half fuchsia/half vibrant plum and doesn't overpower me the way Violet Volt does.


What are your favorite drugstore lippies? Have you tried Milani already? Let me know what you think in the comments.