Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Morning Skincare Routine

Clockwise from left: Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid, Laneige Balancing Emulsion for Combo Skin, Coola SPF 30 BB Matte Tint, Alaffia Everyday Coconut Toner, Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Serum, and Burt's Bees Royal Jelly Eye Balm


In the US, people tend to focus on makeup to bring out their inner beauty. We Americans like to play with our makeup, and are not afraid of heavier looks. Not so in countries like France and Korea, where a more understated makeup look is preferred. When you are relying less on makeup, your skin has to be in tip top shape, and so it's no surprise that women in France and Korea are known for their skincare regimes. Of the two, French skincare seems to be the more straightforward of the too, as the French carry their "Keep It Simple" approach to skincare as well. They will do the basic 3 step routine at night of washing, toning, and moisturizing, but they tend to be much more gentle with the skin then Americans. Americans love to exfoliate, but the French prefer to use masks.
Korean skincare, on the other hand, is anything but simple. Most Korean women would laugh at the idea of a 3 step routine. That is not to say that the French or Korean approach to skincare is any better then the American one. But sometimes is helps to look at things from a different perspective. I like to adapt the best ideas from each culture to my own unique beauty perspective. From the French I have learned that gentleness is key. I went overboard with retinols and chemical exfoliation and my skin suffered from it. So now instead of exfoliating and using retinols twice a day I use one and alternate between the two. This has helped to keep those pesky flakes at bay. From the Koreans I have learned a deeper appreciation of layering products, and I do incorporate the use of a serum and sleep masks. So without much further ado, here is my morning routine.

1. Wash face with a gentle cleanser. Unless you have oily or acne prone skin, I recommend that you go with a creamy cleanser, especially if you are using actives like retinoids or aha/bha.
2. Apply toner/or BHA. I alternate otherwise the BHA is too drying.
3. Apply serum.
4. Apply moisturizer.
5. Apply SPF.
6. Apply lipbalm with SPF.

So I would say I definitely have a cosmopolitan approach to skincare. What about you???