Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Clarins Skin Illusion Foundation Review

Hello everyone!!!! So without much ado, I am just going to jump in and do a review. Clarins is a French skin care and cosmetics brand that does not get much love, at least not here in the US. I first came across them over a decade ago as I was getting ready for my wedding. I had one of their nice facials done and ended up buying a few products. A few years I was looking back on some pictures and really like the dewy and rosy look I had to my skin, and remembered I had been using Clarins cleansers at that time, so I decided to pay my local Clarins counter a visit. <a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12613221/?claim=w448gfph7qb">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
I came away with a cleanser, toner, and their Skin Illusion Natural Radiance Foundation with SPF 10. This is their dewy finish foundation. I probably should have gotten their matte finish one, since I have a very oily t-zone AND I live in South Florida, but I wanted something that wasn't going to look masklike, so I went with this one. Shadewise, I tried both the Wheat and the Beige shade, and ended up getting the Beige, as I felt Wheat leaned to rosy for me. According to Sephora's Color IQ, I'm a 3Y06, for those of you that use that system and want to get a better idea. This is a pretty close match for me, as you can see in the photo, though it does oxidize a tiny bit. My neck is less ruddy than my face, so I may need to go with an even more yellow based shade next time to better match my neck. As it stands, I don't think the difference is that great. I apply a bit with my Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush and I get a pretty nice finish. Right now I'm dealing with some dry skin and flaky patches all over my face due to my use of retinol and bha, but compared to my other foundation (Laneige Pore Control BB Cushion) , this one does a much better job of creating an even canvas without highlighting the flaky spots. I still get some caking and flakiness, but nowhere near as much as I get with Laneige. I set my foundation with Revlon's Colorstay Pressed Powder in Light/Medium. The finish is quite lovely, not overly matte, but not shiny at all.


Freshly applied with powder.


1hr18m after application
After about an hour, including a few minutes spent outside in the hot Florida sun, the dewiness factor has gone up, but it still looks nice and doesn't read as oily at all. It does seem a bit darker, though I can't be sure if that's from oxidation or simply the lighting (regular crappy cellphone pictures for this newbie blogger). Since the background colors look about the same, I'm inclined to think this is true darkening and not just lighting difficulties.


2hr34m after application


After 2 hours and a half, it's definitely getting oilier. The increasing oiliness notwithstanding, the foundation has managed not to get cakey and dry around my flaky areas, like Laneige did on me yesterday. So for me, this is a win. I can deal with the oiliness with oil blotting sheets, but there's no getting around cakey or flaky looking foundation. The only thing I don't like is the progressive darkening I see in the pics. In person it's not at all that noticeable, so I may just be nitcking. 


Foundation Rating Scale:

Oil Control 1/2 points
Color           1.5/2 points
Finish   2/2 points

Overall score:  4.5 out of 6 points. Barring me finding something that works better, I will most likely be purchasing this foundation again, though I probably should go with a lighter shade.